My professional interests include education, research and consultancy focused on accessibility and inclusion through digital technologies. Advancing inclusive user experience is my passion, both in commerce and in education.
I am a multi-disciplinary teacher with accredited competencies across information technology, information systems, human-computer interaction, inclusive design, disability studies and pure sciences. Making synergistic connections across fields while teaching is my forte. As an Adjunct Professor with OCAD University, Toronto, I teach inclusive interaction design, research colloquium and experiential lab courses in their Master of Design program in Inclusive Design (MDID).
I conduct and supervise research on inclusive design of information, communication and mobility systems, with special focus on the needs of people with disabilities. I have expertise in designing systems to meet the needs of persons with visual impairments and in enabling use of mobile devices as assistive technologies for people with cognitive and speech-language impairments. I supervise student research and mentor them in their research project management in the MDID program.
For over a decade I have worked in large-scale, government-funded ICT projects in Toronto, some of them pan-Canadian, involving inclusive design of information systems and information technology for people with disabilities. My experience in project management has honed my skills in fund-raising, planning, organization, time management, people management, communication, negotiation and collaboration. Through my consulting firm Sahaay Inclusive Technologies, I offer strategic planning, training, consulting and audit services to organizations looking to enhance the accessibility and user experience of their websites, applications and businesses.
- Co-Founder and Director, Canadian Association for Inclusive Design Research
- Associate Researcher, SMARTLab, University College Dublin, Ireland
- Associate Researcher, Inclusive Design Institute, Toronto, Canada
- Adjunct Professor, OCAD university, Toronto, Canada
- Member, Association of Indian Institutes of Technology Alumni, Canada
- Alumna, Indian Institute of Technology, Madras, M.Sc. Theoretical Chemistry (1975-77)
- Alumna, University College London, UK, M.Sc. Human-Computer Interaction (2005-07)
- Alumna, University of Toronto, Canada (PhD in Information Studies (2005-10); Post-doctoral research fellow in Information Studies (2010-12)
- Life member, National Centre for Software Technology, (now Centre for Development of Advanced Computing) Mumbai, India
- Life member, Indian Institute of Banking and Finance (Certified Associate (CAIIB) 1985-86)
- Web accessibility expert with World Wide Web Consortium (W3C) – Evaluated WCAG 2.0 candidate implementation websites prior to publication of Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 in December 2008.
- Member, ACM Special Interest Groups on Human-Computer Interaction and Accessibility (SIGCHI and SIGACCESS)
- Member, Toastmasters International